Rachel was born on the 27th August 1849 (VRI film 1526142). Her parents were Thomas (HM059) and Rachel (HM060).
The 1851 census shows that Rachel was 1 year old and living at Boardmans with her family.
The family moved to the Burnley / Habergham Eaves area between 1861 and the beginning of 1864 (when Thomas died). Rachel was christened (VRI film 1526142) on the 28th August 1864 (a day after her 15th birthday).
Rachel married Thomas Fletcher on 13th August 1870 aged 21. It was a busy time for Magnall weddings as this was the third that year!
|1870 Marriage solemnized at Holy Trinity Church in the Parish of H.T. Habergham Eaves in the County Lancaster|
|No.||When married||Name and surname||Age||Condition||Rank or Profession||Residence at the time of marriage||
Father’s Name and Surname
|Rank or Profession of Father|
Thomas Magnall (Decd)
|Married in the Church of the Holy Trinity according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, after Banns by me,
|Thomas Fletcher X his mark
Rachel Magnall X her mark
Mary Ann Magnall X her mark
In the 1881 census Rachel and her husband are living at No. 3 Cog Square next door to her sister Margaret (FM233) (at no.4) and close to her brother Ralph (FM001) (at no. 6). At this stage Rachel and Thomas had the following children:-
- Thomas Fletcher (b.c.1872);
- James Fletcher (b.c.1874);
- Sarah J Fletcher (b.c.1877);
- Ernist Fletcher (b.c.1879);
- Herbert Fletcher (b.c.1881).
I understand from Susan Bibby that Thomas and Rachel went on to have several other children including:
- Mary (b.1882, bap.11 Jan 1883 St John’s Church, Gannow)
- Ada (b. 1884, privately baptised 20th Aug 1884)
- Margaret (b.1885, bap.26 Nov 1885 St John’s Church, Gannow)
- Harry (b.1889, bap.25 Apr 1889 St John’s Church, Gannow)
VRI – Vital Records Index
[Last updated 30 Nov 2008]