The 1881 Census shows that John and Margaret were living at no. 4 Cog Square with their daughter Emily aged 6. John was now 30 years old and a Coal Weigher (mine), Margaret was a Cotton Weaver and Emily a scholar. Ralph, her brother, was living at no. 6 Cog Square.
John and Margaret had the following children:
- Emily (born 1874) (d.1943)
- Thomas Aspinall (died as an infant in 1875)
- Herbert Vincent (died as an infant in 1877)
- John Aspinall (born 1882) (d.1942?)
- Clara Hartley (born 1888) (died 1980)
- Francis Arthur (born 3rd March 1890) (died Nov 1971). Frank, as he was known, married Amy Bertha Wilson on the 10th May 1913 at Hovingham church in North Yorkshire. They had two daughters, one of whom was Elsie Winifred (24th March 1916 – 10th June1991). Elsie married Arnold Pearson Jones (19th Jan 1910 – 8th June 1969) on 24th August 1939 in Doncaster Yorks.
- Rachel Hartley (died as an infant in 1891)
The name Aspinall occurs several times as a second name. This is because John William Hartley’s father was John Aspinall Hartley who was the illegitimate son of Matilda Hartley a maid at Reedley House (nr Burnley?) and the son of the House John Aspinall.
Thanks to Clare Hollis, daughter of Arnold and Elsie Winifred for providing much of this information and for the photo.