Jacqui Marsden is a New Zealander who lives in Australia who is descended from John Mangnall of Westhoughton. This page is about that section of the family tree. If you have any information you would like to contribute to this page please contact me.
John Mangnall (GM109) was born in Westhoughton, Lancashire on the 25 July 1844. He became a coal miner and married Alice Ingram (GM110) on 11th December 1865 at Hindley Green. In 1881 they were living at 9 Swan Lane, Hindley, LAN with the eight children who had been born up to that time and a lodger called William Wood who was a coal miner and a widower. The children over 8 were described as scholars.
John and Alice had at least 9 children:-
- Elizabeth Jane (FM112), born about 1868
- Abigail (FM50a), born about 1870
- John (FM113), born about 1872
- Henry (Harry) (FM114), born 19 Aug 1873
- Peter (EM078), born about 1875 and christened on the 16th January 1876 in Hindley, LAN (Vital Records Index and 1881 Census)
- James (EM079), born 1877 and christened on the 2nd September 1877 in Hindley, LAN (Vital Records Index and 1881 Census)
- Edith Alice (EM080), born about 1879 and christened on the 27th July 1879 in Hindley, LAN (Vital Records Index and 1881 Census)
- William (EM081), born about 1881
- Walter (EM210), born 15th March 1883 in Hindley
The story goes that John, not wanting his sons to become coal miners, sent three of his sons (Harry, James and Walter) to New Zealand. James subsequently became a coal miner!
Walter married Helen Heyes on 8th July 1911 at St Peter’s Church in Hamilton, New Zealand. Helen was born on 11th Feb 1887 in Hamilton. They had at least seven children:
- Beatrice Helen, born 1 Oct 1912 in Hamilton, died 18 Jan 1988 in Milford, Auckland;
- Phyllis Irene (mother of Jacqui), born 8 July 1914 in Hamilton, died 28 May 1997 in Milford, Auckland;
- Raymond Francis, born 4 April 1916 in Hamilton, died 6 Jun 1974 in Fielding;
- Alfred Ronald (Dickie), born 13 Oct 1917 in Hamilton, died 8 Sep 1980;
- Norman, born 27 Feb 1920 in Hamilton, died Dec 1921 in Hamilton aged 21 months;
- Joyce Hamilton, born 27 Aug 1922 in Hamilton, died 21 Feb 1989 in Hamilton;
- Derek Garth, born 24 Oct 1932 in Hamilton, died 17 May 1989 in Nelson, NZ.