William Thomas Porter Mangnall was born on the 14th November 1853 at 14 Acorn Street in Leeds (RoB Leeds 1853 Q4 V.9b p.327). He was the son of Robert Hartley Mangnall (GM028) and Judith Porter (GM200) and they had him christened at Manchester Cathedral on the 19th March 1854. William’s father seems to have moved around Lancashire and Yorkshire quite a bit at the time of William’s birth.
In 1871 the census shows that William was living at 4 Factory Brow, Tetlow Bridge in Crumpsall with his parents and siblings. He was 16 years old and was working as a “Cotton Cop? Packer”.
William married Margaret Leicester or Lester (FM242) (b.c.1858) on 15th February 1874 at St James’ Parish Church, Latchford, Warrington in Cheshire. Margaret was the daughter of Thomas Leicester and Phoebe Ann Wells. William and Margaret had at least the followng children:-
- an unidentified son, possibly born in Wigan;
- William Thomas Porter (EM233) b.29th November 1876 in Queensland, Australia;
- Jane (EM234) b.1879, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW;
- John Robert (EM235) b.8th November 1881, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW;
- Elizabeth (EM236) b.1884, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW, d.1891;
- Robert Henry (EM237) b.1886, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW;
- Albert J. (EM238) b.1891, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW;
- Lucy (EM185) b.1893, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW;
- Elizabeth M. (EM239) b.1896, Waterloo, Sydney, NSW.
Margaret died on 26th June 1925 in Sydney, NSW, Australia and William died two years later in Sydney on 23rd May 1927. William is buried at Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney.
Many thanks to Phillip and Dimity for their help in supplying the initial information, also Jim Mangnall. Also to Val Barr who has filled much of the details and dates, John Robert is Val’s Grandfather.