Travis and Mangnall was formed by Henry Travis and William Mangnall (HM120) in about 1846. They were based at 3 Norfolk Street in Manchester according to the Slater’s Directorys 1848 & 1855.
The company was responsible for many well known and impressive buildings including:-
- St. Kentigern , Aspatria, Cumberland (1846-1848)- rebuilding the church
- 83 Princess Street, corner of George Street, (1847-48). Grade II Listed .
- Christ Church, Penrith, Cumberland (1847-1851) – new church
- Oldham Workhouse, Rochdale Road, Oldham (1848-1851) built at a cost of £13,305. The workhouse eventually became part of the Oldham Hospital when it was modernised early in the 20th century.
- St. Margaret, Holyrood, Prestwich, Lancashire (1848-1854) – new church opened 1851
- S & J Watts Warehouse (now the Britannia Hotel), Portland Street, Manchester (1851-6) (another image and more information still!). This became known as the first ‘cash ‘n carry’ warehouse and had a completely different architectural design for each of it’s six floors. A grade II listed building.
- Wigan Union Workhouse (1855-7)
- Salford Museum and Art Gallery, Peel Park, The Crescent, Salford. This is a renaissance style museum, library and art gallery built by Manchester architects, Travis and Mangnall in 1852. Peel Park is an early public park opened and named after Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel. The building housed the first unconditionally free library in Britain and the museum was one of the earliest in the country.
- St. Mary, Crumpsall, Manchester, (1858-1859) – new church
- Waldorf House, Freemason’s Hall, Cooper Street (1863). Grade II Listed.
William Mangnall died in 1868 and his son William (FM292) continued in the company as an architect and surveyor. In 1869 the company was known as Mangnall and Littlewood and was still based at 3 Norfolk Street.