Quentin was the son of Helen Mangnall (FM178) and Quentin Theodore Bluhm who were married in 1881 (RoM Chorlton 1881 Q2 8c 1014). Quentin was born on 6 August 1882 in Broughton, Salford, Manchester.
The 1891 Census shows that Quentin was living with his parents at Lyndhurst on Holden Street in Broughton, Salford. His father was a Stocks and Shares Broker.
In the 1901 Census Quentin was aged 18 and still living at Lyndhurst on Holden Street in Broughton, Salford with his father, mother and brother Cyril.
Quentin wanted to be an architect and was articled to Edward Hewitt to train as one between 1902 and 1905. He also studied at ‘Manchester Schools of Art and Architecture’. In 1906 Quentin went into business as a self employed architect and surveyor based at Wood Street Chambers, 42 Wood Street, St Annes on the Sea, Lancashire (today part of Lytham St Annes). He passed the qualifying examination in 1909 and became an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects on the 28th February 1910.
By 1906 the family had moved to a house called Whitecote on Devonshire Road in St Anne’s on the Sea. In the 1911 census Quentin is shown as 28 years ol but still living at home. He was working as an architect’s surveyor and his brother, Cyril, was working as a Land Agent.
The London Gazette of June 4th 1907 records: “5th (Ardwick) Volunteer Battalion, The Manchester Regiment; Quentin Mangnall Bluhm, gentleman, to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 7th April, 1907.”
The 5th Battalion was a unit of the Volunteer Force. This meant that Quentin trained during weekends and continued with his profession during business hours.
On the 1st April 1908 the Volunteer Force was disbanded and replaced by the Territorial Force. Quentin transferred to the new 8th (Ardwick) Battalion of the Manchester Regiment. The London Gazette records Quentin’s promotion to Lieutenant on the 1st April 1908. He was promoted to Captain on 27 April 1912
During 1914 Quentin moved offices to City Bank Chambers in The Square, St Annes on Sea. He would not spend very long there though, as the First World War broke out in August 1914 and he was called up for duty with the 8th Battalion.
Quentin’s brother Cyril joined the 8th Battalion on the 18th August, but they would not have spent much time together. Quentin was sent to Egypt on the 10th September, and he arrived in Alexandria with the rest of the 8th Battalion on the 25th.
After less than a month in Egypt, on the 19th October Quentin was sent to Cyprus. This was a Turkish colony administered by Britain. As Britain and Turkey were now at war Quentin and the 8th Battalion took part in the British annexation of the island. They stayed there until the 23rd January 1915 when they returned to Egypt.
Quentin went to war in May 1915 when the 8th Battalion landed in Gallipoli. He took part in the attack on the village of Krithia that began on the 4th June. This had been intended to be captured during late April when the first Allied troops landed, but the Turks had been able to hold them off. Quentin and the 8th Battalion advanced further than most British units, but this meant when the Turks counter attacked they were cut off and forced to withdraw.
During this fighting Quentin was wounded. We don’t know what happened to him, but it was serious enough that he had to leave the 8th Battalion on the 5th June. He was sent to Hospital in Malta for treatment. Cyril had also been seriously wounded during the same attack.
Quentin had not recovered by August 1915. On the 2nd he was sent to Gibraltar, and then two weeks later he returned to the UK.
We know very little about what Quentin did during the rest of the war. He was promoted to Major on the 20th February 1917, although he was given precedence in the rank from the 1st June 1916.
During early 1918 Quentin was working for the Colonel in Command of Infantry Records in Number 3 District. This was based in Preston, Lancashire.
Quentin was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for ‘gallant and distinguished services in the field’ on the 5th May 1919. His award was published in the London Gazette on the 30th January 1920. There is no citation for his award, so we don’t know when and how he earned it.
In 1920 “Major Quentin Mangnall Bluhm, 1/8th Bn., Manch.R., T.F.” was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).
After the war Quentin and Cyril continued in military service by joining the 88th (West Lancashire) Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery, a unit of the Territorial Army. Quentin was commissioned as a Lieutenant on the 24th July 1920.
After the war Quentin returned to St Annes and his architecture firm. He became a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1920. and Cyril joined the 88th (West Lancashire) Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery, a unit of the Territorial Army. Quentin was commissioned as a Lieutenant on the 24th July 1920, was promoted to Captain on the 27th July 1921, and to Major on the 13th May 1925. He reached the age limit and was forced to retire on the 17th August 1932.
Medals awarded to Quentin and Cyril Bluhm – Quentin’s medals (L to R) Distinguished Service Order; 1914-15 Star; British War Medal; Allied Victory Medal with ‘Mentioned in Despatches’ oak leaves
Civilian life after the war
On 5 September 1923 Quentin married Gladys Edith Wolfenden St. Thomas’s Church, St. Annes-on-the-Sea. They went to live at ‘Ayncott’, 705 Liverpool Road in the Ainsdale area of Southport, Lancashire.
From The Times, Saturday, Sep 08, 1923; pg. 1; Issue 43441
Bluhm : Wolfenden On the 5th Sept. At St. Thomas’s Church, St. Annes-on-the-Sea by the Ven. Archdeacon Sale, assisted by the Rev. C H Ellison M.A. Vicar and the Rev. H C de Baratty, Major Quentin Mangnall Bluhm D.S.O., F.R.I.B.A. elder son of the late Mr. & Mrs. Q.T. Bluhm Whitecote, St. Anne’s to Gladys Edith, only daughter of the late Rev. J. Hadfiend Wolfenden, Vicar of St. Michael’s Blackburn and Mrs. Wolfenden, St. Anne’s.
In 1926 Quentin moved the office of his architecture firm from St Annes on the Sea to Victoria Chambers, Fishergate in Preston. At some point he and Gladys moved to 643 Liverpool Road. They had no children.
Bluhm Quentin Mangnall, D.S.O., F.R.I.B.A., Architect and Surveyor, 42 Wood st, St. Annes; h. 34 Devonshire rd, St. Annes; and at Preston
Quentin died on the 24 June 1955 aged 72. Gladys died on the 9 July of the same year. Probate reads as follows:
“Bluhm Quentin Mangall (sic) of 643 Liverpool-road Ainsdale Lancashire died 24 June 1955 Probate London 1 September to Raymond Cliff solicitor John Harston Cliff solicitors clerk and George Jesse Turner motor engineer. Effects £19819 17s. 5d.”
Quentin left his home and all his effects to the Architect’s Benevolent Society. He said “it is my sincere desire and hope that the society will provide there a home for a retired architect in good character and preferably in reduced circumstances and interested in gardening”. As recently as 2010 ‘Bluhm Bungalow’ is still owned by this society.
Interestingly, Quentin’s brother died on the 7 April 1955 and he left £16991 2s. 11d. to Quentin and probate was on 17 June 1955, only 7 days before Quentin died. Probate for Cyril read:
“Bluhm Cyril of 14 Queens-road St. Annes-on-the-Sea Lancashire died 7 April 1955 at The Victoria Hospital Blackpool Probate Lancaster 17 June to Quentin Mangnall Bluhm retired charted architect. Effects £16991 2s. 11d.”