Thomas Mangnall was born on 26 Oct 1823 (MS) in Westhoughton, Lancashire to Thomas Mangnall (JM052) and Martha (JM053). Thomas married Jane Heaton in Westhoughton on the 12 June 1848 at St Mary the Virgin, Deane. They had the following children:-
- Margaret (GM252) b.25 Feb 1849 (MS);
- Richard (FM262) b.1 June 1851 (MS);
- Thomas (FM263) bap. 23 Oct 1853 (MS);
- James (FM264) b.c.1854, bap 4 May 1856 (MS);
- Mary (FM265) b.6 March 1859 (VS);
- William (FM266) b.11 April 1862;
- Jane (FM267) b.c. 1863;
- John (FM268) b.5 Oct 1865 (MS);
- Martha (FM269) b.c.1867 but died as a baby.
The 1851 Census shows that Thomas, Jane and Margaret were living at Caldwell’s Cottages in Westhoughton. Thomas was a coal miner, Jane a silk weaver. They had a servant, E Morris, who was also a silk weaver living with them.
At the time of the 1861 Census Thomas and Jane were living at Brindles cottages in Westhoughton with their five oldest children. Thomas was a collier, Jane a silk weaver, Margaret a bobbin winder and the next oldest three children were scholars.
In about 1870 Thomas left for La Salle, Illinois leaving the two youngest children with his parents Thomas (JM052) and Martha (JM053). His wife Jane had died by this time (possibly Bolton 1868 Q4 Vol 8c page 172 age 43) but several other family members went with him including:-
- Richard, his wife Alice (Crompton) and their three children;
- Thomas, his wife Anne (Lovett) and their child;
- James; and
- John who married Anne Stobbs in America.
Thomas remarried at some point to Eliza Watson. He died on the 17th March 1893 in Oglesby, LaSalle, Illinois and is buried in Oakwood Cemetry, LaSalle, Illinois. (VS)
Many thanks to Virginia Mangnall Schmecker and Margaret Southgate for helping with information. Virginia is a direct descendant of Thomas.
MS – dates supplied by Margaret Southgate
VS – data from Virginia Schmecker’s web pages on Ancestry.com