John Mangnall was born in 1798 in Anglezark, Lancashire. John married Nancy Sherborn / Sherburn on the 13th August 1827 at St Wilfrid’s Church in Standish. They had the following children:
- Maria, born 1828, baptised 22 June 1828 at St Laurence’s Church, Chorley;
- William (GM145), born 1831 baptised 20 March 1831 at St Laurence’s Church, Chorley;
- Joseph (GM133), born 1833, baptised 23 June 1833 at St Laurence’s Church, Chorley;
- Jane (GM243), born 1835, baptised 6 September 1835 at St Laurence’s Church, Chorley;
- James (GM135), born 1842.
When Maria was baptised John was a farmer and the family were living at Heath Charnock. By the time of William’s and Joseph’s baptisms in 1831 and 1833 John was a labourer and the family were still residing at Heath Charnock. When Jane was baptised the family had moved to Chorley.
The 1841 Census shows that John, Nancy and the four oldest children were living with his parents at Cowling Bridge in Chorley. John was aged about 40 and was now a shoe (?) and beer seller. James was born about 1842 but we don’t have a record of a baptism.
The 1851 Census shows that John was aged 53 and was working as a Retail Grocer. The family were still living at Cowling Bridge in Chorley.
We think that John died before the 1861 census.
[Last updated 16 Dec 2008]