William Mangnall (HM120), one of the partners of Travis and Mangnall – architects and surveyors, died in 1868. His son William (FM292) was only about 19 years old but it appears that he took over from his father. Henry Travis also retired and he was replaced by John Littlewood (1829-1901) and later his brother William Henry Littlewood (1839-1921), the sons of architect Joshua Littlewood (1794-1866) of Holmfirth. The Littlewood brothers had both been articled to Travis and Mangnall, John in 1850 and William in 1855. There is some evidence to suggest that Mangnall and Littlewood actually started in 1865 so it is possible that Henry Travis retired before the death of William Mangnall (senior).
Mangnall and Littlewoods were associated with the following business addresses:-
- 3, Norfolk Street, Manchester (from 1868)
- 29, Brown Street, Manchester (before 1881 and after 1888)
- 42, Spring Gardens, Manchester (from 1900).
An assistant, Eric Alexander Sutherland, was employed from 1893 to 1897. He helped work on the piers and pavilions at Blackpool and Morecombe amongst other projects. Further details about Eric can be found on the “Dictionary of Scottish Architects” website.
The company was involved with the following buildings or structures:
- Teviot Dale Station and roadside stations at Cheadle, Baguley and Northenden;
- Market Hall – now the Air & Space Hall of the Museum of Science & Industry, Liverpool Road, (1876). Now a Grade II Listed building;
- Manchester Gasworks (1876);
- Victoria Hotel, Southport (1876);
- Manchester Fish Market (1877);
- Palace Hotel, Southport (1880);
- Ormond Building, Lower Ormond Street, (1881) now part of Manchester Metropolitan University;
- Salford Baths (1889);
- Barton Workhouse The winning design for the scheme by Magnall and Littlewoods of Manchester for a major expansion and redevelopment was published in 1891. Only a much reduced scheme was actually built;
- A large warehouse for Isodore Frankenburg in Salford (after 1893);
- Blackpool Pier and Pavilions (after 1893);
- Morecambe Pier and Pavilions (after 1893);
- Blackpool Winter Gardens Empress Ballroom (1896);
- Blackpool Gigantic Wheel (1896) – W. B. Bassett, esq., Engineer, London, Mangnall and Littlewoods, Architects, Manchester. A new company, The Auto-Music Company Ltd., was set up to own and operate the big wheel. The “Gigantic Wheel” was erected at the corner of Adelaide Street and Coronation Street. The 214 foot high wheel, with 30 carriages each holding 30 or more passengers, rotated every 15 minutes. It’s total weight was 400 tons. It was never a great success and it made it’s last trip on 20th October 1928, shortly afterwards being demolished by Ward Brothers of Eccles. Copper medallions were made to commemorate the wheel. Picture 1906 (search for Blackpool)
- Victoria Pavilion, Morecambe Winter Gardens (1897);
- Hotel Metropole, Morecambe (1897);
- New Spa Theatre, Bridlington (1899), unfortunately burnt down in 1906;
- Kursaal, Harrogate (1899), Mangnall and Littlewoods entered a design in a competition but their design was unplaced! R J Beale won the competition;
- Colwyn Bay Pier and Pavilion (1900), the pavilion was completely destroyed by fire in 1922. Picture from 1903. Picture from 1910;
- Chester Race Course – County Stand (1900)
- Grand Pavilion, Bridlington (1906);
- Pavilion Theatre, Weymouth (1908). Destroyed by fire in 1954;
- Blackpool Winter Gardens Opera House (1911).