|Registration District Bury Lancashire|
|1847 Birth in the Sub-District of Holcombe in the County of Lancaster|
|No.||When and where
|Name, if any||Sex||Name and Surname
|Name, surname and
|Signature, Description and
Residence of Informant
3 A M
|Labourer||X The mark of
The 1851 census shows that John was 4 years old and living at Boardmans with his family. By the time of the 1861 Census I think they were living just up the road at Bromley Fold.
John married Sarah Hargreaves (FM020) on the 5th March 1870 at Holy Trinity Church in Habergham Eaves. According to their marriage certificate John was 23, a miner, living at Wood Top and Sarah was 18 years old, a weaver, also living at Wood Top. John’s father Thomas is shown as deceased, Sarah’s father was Sagar Hargreaves who was a miner. (Sagar is quite an unusual name but I have come across it a couple of times in my research. Does any one know where it comes from?) Witnesses at the wedding were Thomas Fletcher and Rachel Magnall. All four signed with a cross. Rachel may well have been John’s younger sister Rachel (FM193) who later married Thomas Fletcher.
|1870 Marriage solemnized at Holy Trinity Church in the Parish of H.T. Habergham Eaves in the County Lancaster|
|No.||When married||Name and surname||Age||Condition||Rank or Profession||Residence at the time of marriage||Father’s Name and Surname||Rank or Profession of Father|
|451||March 5||John Magnall
|Married in the Church of the Holy Trinity according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by me,
|John Magnall X
Sarah Hargreaves X
|Thomas Fletcher X
Rachel Magnall X
John and Sarah had the following children:-
- John Thomas (FM085) born 18th August 1870, christened 10th September 1870 at Holy Trinity Church in Habergham Eaves, died 1872, buried Burnley Cemetery 28 February 1872 (there is also an entry in the register for a John Thomas Magnall born 18 August 1870 and baptised 14 July 1872!);
- Catherine (FM058) born 23rd April 1872, christened 13 August 1872 at Holy Trinity Church in Habergham Eaves;
- Sagar (FM093) born 30th October 1874, christened 25th November 1874 at Holy Trinity Church in Habergham Eaves, died 1875 (RoD Burnley 1875 Q1 8e 170 age 0), buried Burnley Cemetery 23 January 1875;
- Albert (EM015) born 6th November 1875, christened 7th December 1875 at Holy Trinity Church in Habergham Eaves;
- Sarah Jane (EM057) born 29th November 1876, christened 24th January 1877 (VRI), died 1877 (RoD Burnley 1877 Q2 8e 152 age 0);
- Ann Elizabeth (EM017) born in 1878;
- Florence (EM016) born 1st February 1880; christened 11th February 1880 (VRI);
- Rachel (EM220) born 29th July 1881; christened 7th September 1881 (VRI);
- Willie (EM039) born 10th June 1883; christened 26th September 1883 (VRI), died 1883 (RoD Burnley 1883 Q4 8e 137 age 0);
- Arthur (EM040) born 26th November 1884; christened 22nd January 1885 (VRI), died 1885 (Burnley 1885 Q3 8e 116 age 0);
- Edith (EM198) born 10th April 1886; christened 20th May 1886 (VRI); died 23 June 1916;
- Wilbert (EM042) born 21st June 1887; christened 7th July 1887 (VRI), died 1887 (Burnley 1887 Q4 8e 153 age 0);
- Edwin (EM044) born 6th March 1889; christened 4th April 1889 (VRI), died 1890 (Burnley 1890 Q3 8e 139 age 1);
- Lewis (EM221) born 21st August 1890; christened 18th September 1890 (VRI); died 6 January 1922;
- Joseph (EM047) born 9th November 1893; christened 7th December 1893 (VRI), died 1894 (Burnley 1894 Q2 8e 132 age 0);
Eight out of the fifteen children that Sarah bore died in infancy.
John and Sarah’s first son, John Thomas (or John Tommy) (FM085) was born on the 18th August 1870 (VRI). He was christened on the 10th September 1870 (VRI) but there is a confusing record in the VRI which suggests that he was also christened on the 14th July 1872, however he died earlier that year and was buried on the 28 February 1872 – there is a note in the register that says W.T.
In the 1871 Census John is recorded as a coal miner living with his wife and his son John T(ommy?) (FM085a) who was 7 months old. They were living on Cog Lane in Habergham Eaves. We think that John T. died in Q1 1872 (RoD Burnley 1872 Q1 8e 172 age 1). At the time of Florence’s christening on 11 February 1880 the baptismal record shows that they were living on Stoop’s Lane.
The 1881 census shows that John (aged 34) had moved along the road and was now living at 45 Cog Lane, the Peeping Tom Inn (known by the locals as “the Peeps”), in Habergham Eaves and was a Beer Seller. Sarah was now 29 and they had four surviving children:- Catherine (FM058), Albert (EM015), Ann Elizabeth (EM017) born in 1878 and Lawrence (or Florence!)(EM016). The baptisms of Rachel, Willie, Arthur, and Edith all says he was still a miner / collier.
The Burnley Express for 3 September 1881 shows that John applied for and received a licence to sell wine as well as beer. Apparently, the duty on wine had been cut so it became a cheaper and more popular drink.
By the time of the 1891 census John (now aged 44) had again moved along the road (or the houses had been renumbered!) and was now living at 69 & 71 Cog Lane which was also known as the Shepherds Arms as a beer seller. It is possible that John had moved as the 1891 Census shows that they were living at 69-71 Cog Lane – the 1881 Census shows that Thomas and Ellen Isherwood were living at 71 Cog Lane with Mary Magnall living with them. The following children were shown to be living with them:-
- Albert (EM015) aged 15, a cotton weaver;
- Ann Elizabeth (EM017), now 13 and a scholar;
- Florence (EM016), aged 11 and a scholar. (NOTE that in the 1881 Census Florence must have been mistaken by the enumarator for a boy and called Lawrence!);
- Rachel (EM220) aged 9 and a scholar;
- Edith (EM198) aged 4;
- Lewis (EM221) aged 7 months.
- Catherine (FM058) married James Henry Duerden on 29th January 1891 in Burnley (VRI).
The 1901 Census shows that the family were still living at the Shepherd’s Arms.
John died at home on the 27th December 1904, a day after the anniversary of his mother’s death. Details of his death certificate are shown below:
|Sex||Age||Occupation||Cause of death||Signature, description and residence of informant||When
71 Cog Lane
|Bronchitis 5 days
Present at death
236 Accrington Road
W.T. Clegg was the Deputy Registrar at the time of Rachel’s death.
VRI – (Vital Records Index)
John died on 27 December 1904 and was buried in Burnley Cemetery on 30 December.
MAGNALL John of 71 Cog-lane Burnley died 27 December 1904 Probate London 28 January to Sarah Magnall widow Albert Magnall bookseller and James Magnall retired grocer Effects £620 9s. 6d.
[Last updated 21 Nov 2023]