John Mangnall was born about 1860 in Manchester to Robert Hartley Mangnall (GM028) and Judith Porter (GM200). He was christened on the 19th August 1860 at Manchester Cathedral. Since his elder brother, Thomas, was christened in February, I assume that he must have been born later in the year.
In the 1871 Census John was a scholar living at 4 Factory Brow, Tetlow Bridge in Crumpsall with his family. He emigrated about 1876, presumably with his older siblings William and Jane.
John married twice. His first wife was Amy J Kearns who he married in 1883 in Goulborn, NSW. Amy died in 1884, presumably as a result of childbirth because she gave birth to:-
Amy J., b.1884.
John’s second wife was Amelia Elizabeth Bailey who he married in 1887 in Goulborn, NSW. They had at least seven children:-
- John L H (EM270) b.1888 in Petersham, NSW, d.1889;
- Ethel J B (EM271) b.1890 in Petersham. She married William Nimmo in 1921 in Annandale, NSW;
- John Leonard (EM272) b.11th November 1891 in Leichardt, NSW. He married Alice Corona Astill in 1917 and died on the 15th May 1978 in Wentworthville, NSW;
- Ida E (EM273) b.1894 in Leichardt, NSW. She married John R Moore in 1923 in Glebe, NSW;
- Ernest (EM274) b.1898 in Leichardt, NSW. He married Gracie Plows in 1925 in Sydney, NSW and died in Sydney in 1940;
- Myra Isabelle (DM285) b.1901 in Leichardt, NSW;
- Leila R (DM286) b.1905 in Smithfield, NSW. She married Thomas B Stewart in 1923 in Manley, NSW;
John died in 1945 in Burwood, NSW. There are some photos of John’s family which we are trying to identify. Can anyone help?
[Last updated 12 Dec 2009]