Walter was born to John Mangnall (GM109) and Alice (GM110) on the 15 Mar 1883 in Hindley and was baptised at All Saints Church in Hindley on the 29 May 1883..
By the time of the 1891 Census Walter was a scholar. His mother had recently died and the family were living at 113 Corner Lane, Hindley.
The 1901 Census shows that he was a labourer working below ground at a coal mine. He was living with his father and step mother at 286 Leigh Road, Hindley. He left home to travel to New Zealand in November 1902 on S.S. Warrigal and settled in Hamilton.
Walter married Helen Heyes on 8th July 1911 at St Peter’s Church in Hamilton, New Zealand. Helen was born on 11th Feb 1887 in Hamilton. They had at least seven children:
- Beatrice Helen, born 1 Oct 1912 in Hamilton, died 18 Jan 1988 in Milford, Auckland;
- Phyllis Irene (mother of Jacqui Marsden), born 8 July 1914 in Hamilton, died 28 May 1997 in Milford, Auckland;
- Raymond Francis, born 4 April 1916 in Hamilton, died 6 Jun 1974 in Fielding;
- Alfred Ronald (Dickie), born 13 Oct 1917 in Hamilton, died 8 Sep 1980;
- Norman, born 27 Feb 1920 in Hamilton, died Dec 1921 in Hamilton aged 21 months;
- Joyce Hamilton, born 27 Aug 1922 in Hamilton, died 21 Feb 1989 in Hamilton;
- Derek Garth, born 24 Oct 1932 in Hamilton, died 17 May 1989 in Nelson, NZ.
Walter and Helen separated in 1936.
Thanks to Jacquie Marsden for supplying me with some of this information.
[Last updated 30 Oct 2013]